Sunday, March 29, 2009

sunflowers and daisies







I've tried to document the growth of my sunflowers and daisies out in our front yard, next to the street. We had a 30 year old eucalyptus tree that blew over in a huge windstorm last March and after we had it cut out and removed, there was a huge, empty area there. So, last November, I decided to plant some sunflower seeds along the fence there, since they LOVE full sun, and I also threw out some African daisy seeds and some California poppies, since they also love full sun and heat. We had some gentle rains in the fall and the seeds germinated. Since then, the sunflowers have grown to be over 7 feet tall and the daisies and poppies are thriving. I often have people and children stop to admire the sunflowers! It's a delicate issue here in Palm Desert. I'm sure the city code officer doesn't like them, but when I see the smiles on the childrens' faces, I know it is worth it! I got home early one afternoon and a mother and her young son were stopped in front of the fence talking about the sunflowers, which are now blooming. I'm glad they put a smile on their faces. Anyway, here are some pics of them from early March, 2009.

No comments: